Sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive procedure performed by your healthcare provider to treat varicose and spider veins. The treatment involves individually targeting veins and injecting a solution that will cause the veins to collapse or shrink. In addition to cosmetically minimizing the appearance of varicose and spider veins, sclerotherapy can provide relief from vein symptoms such as burning or stinging.
What to Expect
- Typical treatment sessions last 15-45 minutes
- Minimal discomfort associated with injections
- Spider veins may become more prominent for the first few days following the injections before their appearance starts to decrease
- Compression wraps or stockings are required for 5-14 days following a treatment session
What should I avoid after sclerotherapy treatment?
- Heavy lifting or strenuous exercise
- Sunbathing for 1-2 weeks (may lead to darkening of the skin at the injection site)
- Hot tub or sauna use for 1-2 weeks
Is sclerotherapy covered by insurance?
Most insurance policies do not provide coverage for treatment of spider or varicose veins for cosmetic purposes. In some situations, sclerotherapy treatment may be considered as a covered medical expense if performed in conjunction with other vein treatment in patients with complex vein disease, bleeding veins or ulcerations. Treatment cost and coverage can be discussed with one of our Premier Vascular & Vein care providers at your free initial consultation.